A Successful Conference on Jain Philosophy and Science
Bhagawan Mahavira International Research Centre (BMIRC), Jain Vishva Bharati Institute (Deemed University), Ladnun, Rajasthan had organized a 3 day long International Conference under the benign auspices of Acharya Mahashraman as its Spiritual Mentor and Prof. Muni Mahendra Kumar as its Spiritual Guide, in collaboration with IIT Bombay and University of Mumbai. It was held in VMCC, IIT Powai, Mumbai. Prof. Samani Chaitanya Prajna and BARC Scientist Prof. K. P. Mishra were the Director-General and Director of ICSJP respectively.
“AVENUES OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH IN JAIN PHILOSOPHY”
The conference was graced by many eminent personalities from all over the world. More than 100 scientists, scholars and academicians from 15 countries presented their research papers. Throughout the three days, the Conference was attended by more than 800 people.
Chief Guest: Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Hon’ble Union Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences
Inauguration By: Padma Bhushan, Justice Dalveer Bhandari, Member, International Court of Justice
Key Note Address By: Prof. Muni Mahendra Kumar, Professor Emeritus, JVBI, Ladnun
Chief Guest: Justice Adarsh Goel, Sitting Judge of the Supreme Court of India
Guests of Honour:
Justice Jasraj Chopra, Former Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court
Mr. Annurag Batra, Chairman, BW Business World
1. Sir Roger Penrose, (No. 2 scientist of the world) University of Oxford, UK*
2. Mr. Gary Zukav, Co-founder, Seat of the Soul Institute, USA (Famous Author of Books on Science and Philosophy)**
3. Padma Shri Dr. S. C. Manchanda, Former Head of Cardiology Department, AIIMS, New Delhi
4. Padma Shri Dr. Ashok Panagariya, Former Head of Neurology Department, SMS Medical College, Jaipur
5. Prof. Jeffery Long, University of Pennsylvania, USA
6. Prof. Robert Zydenbos, Munich University, Germany
7. Dr. Pankaj Joshi, Senior Scientist, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
8. Dr. Narendra Bhandari, (Scientist in-charge of Moon Mission of India) PLANEX, Ahmedabad
9. Dr. Kazuyuki Akasaka, Kyoto Prefectural University, Japan
10. Acharya Nandighoshsuri, the Eminent Jain Preceptor working in the field of Science & Jainism
*via video conference
** via video message
There were 11 Technical Sessions, 2 Panel Discussions, 1 Round Table, 1 Experimental Workshop, a special Young Researchers’ Session and Poster Presentations.
Technical Sessions ─
1) Relativism and Jain Logic
2) Soul and Consciousness
3) Relevance of Jainism in Modern Times
4) Science, Society and Ethics
5) Laws of Nature and Karma Theory
6) Macrocosmology: Universe, Cosmography, Cosmogony
7) Environment and Ecology
8) Science and Spirituality
9) Jain Mathematics and Its Importance
10) Microcosmology: Paramanu and Atom
11) Jain Culture, Literature and Science
Panel Discussions ─
1) International and National collaboration for Integrating Jainism and Science
2) Research Problems and Academic Curriculum in Science and Jain Philosophy
Round Table ─
Developing Scientific-cum-Spiritual Technique for Inculcation of Moral Values and Development of EQ in Global Education Curriculum.
Experimental Workshop ─
Impact of Lifestyle Intervention, Preksha Meditation and Yoga in Achieving Holistic Health
The critical discussions on each paper followed by the question-answer session were so extensive, effective, interesting, knowledgeable and analytical, that their impact on future researchers would go a long way in opening innovative avenues of knowledge in all branches of knowledge.
One of the highlights of the Conference was the Young Researchers’ Session where we had excellent participation. More than 20 young researchers presented papers on various topics related to Science and Jain Philosophy. In today’s time it is most important to rope in young people who are interested, curious and committed to the cause of conducting research in Jain Philosophy.
Another notable event was the hour long lecture by Sir Roger Penrose on Consciousness and Cyclic Universe Theory. This was followed by an extensive discussion of approximately 100 minutes wherein various scientific aspects of Jain Philosophy including that of Massless Matter, was discussed at length, which astonished Sir Roger Penrose. At the end of this discussion, he also agreed to become a Member of the Advisory Board of BMIRC.
YOUNG RESEARCHERS PROGRAM -
1st Prize: Mr. Akshit Shethiya
2nd Prize: Dr. Shubhada Neel
3rd Prize: Mrs. Shweta Lodha
POSTER PRESENTATIONS –
1st Prize: Samani Amal Prajna
2nd Prize: Mr. Ashutosh Nirvadyaachari
3rd Prize: Mr. Surendra Gogad
A lot of constructive and positive feedback has been received from people who attended the Conference. On the whole, it was unanimously considered as a unique event in the field of comparative study in Science and Jain Philosophy. We would like to thank all the participants for their enthusiasm and for making ICSJP a grand success!